Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Yearning

Rick and I have always said we think we were born "too late." Now, really, I know that my Creator has a plan for me and I know He didn't mess up. And I know He set me on this Earth in 1968-to be in the "prime of my life" during the 21st century-for a reason. However, I still long for "the good ol' days." I like being a housewife. I like being a full-time mom. I like baking. I like cooking from scratch. I like wearing aprons. I like pearls. I love June Cleaver's style in Leave It To Beaver even though I am built more like Larry Mondello's mom. LOL We LIKE tradition here. We strive to hold on to those old ways where father does know best. And ya know, the weirder this world gets the tighter I am holding on.

I went to a yard sale yesterday and bought a whole garbage sack full of patterns (for $10--I KNOW! I love my tips from the BBQ joint!!) and there are a few gems in there. There are a couple "mail order" patterns from The Weekly Star Farmer (newspaper) Pattern Department. It is a pattern for a lovely button down blouse with 3 styles. I don't see a date on it anywhere but I think it's safe to assume that it is genuine vintage. It's for a size 12 and I suppose that the size 12 "back in the day" is not the size 12 of today.

There is another jewel in the bag of patterns: Another "mail order" pattern from the Marian Martin Pattern Department in New York City. This one is for a dress that I've fallen in love with! It too is a size 12 and well, um....well, I'm a bit more voluptuous than a 21st century size 12 so I'm sure this vintage size 12 won't work.

Then, (yes! There is more!!) I came across a McCalls dress pattern from 1960 (size 12 ) that features 3 simply adorable dresses with "choice of three bodices"). The original price for the pattern is 65 cents!!! Isn't that a riot!?? There are about 20 dress patterns for little girls...oh so sweet! Some craft patterns and a couple wedding dress patterns...and then there are several (6-8??) patterns for costumes including Renaissance period and what I call the "Hello Dolly!" period.

Then there are a few 80's patterns; however, I'm not so excited about those because I had enough of the 80's big hair, big earrings, shoulder pads and jelly shoes. Oh well.

I think I'll have some fun with this treasure.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love finding those unlikely gems at yard sales? I know i'd be overjoyed if I stumbled on a bag of patterns for only $10! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, honey, I long for the good ol' days and I was born in 1984! What a find on those patterns! Let me tell you, I almost cried when I read your MK story. I had a similar experience. The only reason that it did not reach your level is that my husband put his foot down, God bless him. If you ever need a sister to talk to, let me know. I have to admit, I do still love MK products and buy from a lady at church. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It made my day! I hope you will come back to visit me... I love your blog, so I will be back!

    XOXO,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha think?