Thursday, January 24, 2008

College Is So Cool!

So today my daughter texts me and asks me to price organic molecular kits for her. Ooookay! Not even sure I know what I'm looking for on google I type in "Organic Molecular Kits $20" because she told me her professor said a decent one could be found for $20 or so. Right. I found a styrofoam kit but that wasn't going to work because it would need to last through her second semester of biology--or is it chemistry she is taking? Anyhoo, I'm not finding much of anything for less than $45 plus shipping. So later she texts me and says, "LOL Lindsay just gave me her set because she's done with the class and won't use it again."

I love those hugs from God.

Then, in one of her classes there is a student who is hearing impaired and the university provides Sign Language interpreters for her. Morgan was so fascinated by the sign language. She said she had a hard time concentrating on the lecture because she was watching the interpreters. But then she said the next class she found herself paying more attention to the lecture because she was trying to put the signs she was seeing with the words she was hearing.

Morgan finally got up the nerve to talk to the ASL interpreter and ask her about learning ASL. Well, while she is talking to the interpreter the hearing impaired student asks the other interpreter about finding some way to get the lecture notes in writing. She reads Morgan's lips and discovers Morgan wants to learn ASL. So she signs to Morgan she is willing to teach her ASL. Morgan says, "That's great! And I can give you lecture notes from class!"

The beauty of a new friendship. I told Morgan to just think about all she would be missing if she hadn't had the courage to ask the ASL interpreter about learning to sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think?