Thursday, January 24, 2008

About those jobs.....

The jobs have been a part of my healing process. One would think a couple of part time jobs would only add more stress to a busy life but in my case working a few hours a week has been a balm to my raw soul. I'll get more into that story later but I had to share this. Some of my online friends have asked how my first night waiting tables at the BBQ & Grill went. Here is my answer. (Those of you who read this on the you-know-what-boards sorry... read it again, I promise you'll laugh!)

I love it! You wanna know what makes it even more fun? The restaurant building is one my dad helped build for my grandparents years ago. Nanny and Poppy owned and operated M________'s Cafe years and years ago. I remember having my 7th birthday party at the cafe. Then, several years later Dad and Poppy and an uncle decided to remodel and put in a nicer "restaurant and lounge." By then I was old enough to wait tables (and wash dishes ) so that's where my start came from. Nanny trained me herself. I miss her.

Anyway, tonight was the first night I'd been back in the kitchen of the restaurant. I was kind of caught off guard when the lump formed in my throat and the tears threatened to flow. When Nanny passed away my aunts, Dad, and Poppy ran the restaurant and bar for quite a few years. Then Poppy got sick and sold the place. They owned if for so long and then when it sold it was never the same.

It has gone through several owners by now. These folks who now own it (Bill and Linda) are very sweet, Christian people and Mr. Willy does an bang up job. He smokes the meat for like 2 days and makes his own BBQ Sauce. Would you like Mild or Spicy?

Anyway, it was a good night to get back into the swing of things. Not too terribly busy and guess what? Even with it being kind of slow and me being "trained" I still made more than minimum wage and I was home by 8:30. (Much better than the midnight from the video store!!! )

The funniest thing though: I was walking home and heard a noise behind me. I look back and there is a black dog following me. I tried to shoo him away and thought I was successful. No, he just went and found a friend and came back. There were two dogs following me then. I figured the black one said to the white one, "Hey Rover, come with me and follow the scent on this person. Yuuuummmmmmooooooooooooooo." Then I get home and all three of my guys are smelling my shirt... Yep... I smelled like smoked bbq brisket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think?