Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Square Foot Gardening

So far...so good. Ethan built my first 4x4' box a few weeks ago and after giving up the search for vermiculite I purchased four bags of Miracle Gro Garden Soil on Mother's Day because I was determined to get my seeds sown this week.

Today Eli and I marked off our 16 square foot sections and planted a variety of seeds for a "Salad Garden." We planted 2 squares of green beans, 2 squares of cukes, 2 squares of leaf lettuces (mixed variety), 2 squares of spinach, 1 square of carrots, 2 squares of pickling cukes, and 2 squares of onions, and 1 square of bell peppers. That leaves 2 squares for tomato plants. I didn't get any seeds started indoors so we'll have to buy a couple or three tomato plants and go from there.

Tonight Rick made me two more 4x4' boxes and I am seriously considering making one of those nothing but sweet corn and the other one nothing but more tomatoes. I'm still researching the wisdom of this thought.

I have one more 4x4' box that has 10" sides that I thought about planting potatoes in. The verdict is still out on that thought though too.

I have chives, oregano, spearmint, rosemary, thyme, and sage also started (again!) and hope they will come to fruition. I really need to grow some dill for all those pickler cukes that are going to grow!

I would also like to grow some strawberries (maybe the 10" box??), and my dad really likes radishes. I'd also like to have some iceberg lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower to harvest too. In all the gardening books I've consulted it seems one underlying theme is consistent: Plant what you continually buy at the grocery store.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Oney...
    (It's me, Mich. from Smile, Wink, Nod!)

    1. I have an experiment I've been wanting to do with Tommie, hydroponics, which calls for vermiculite. I can't locate any either!!!!!!

    2. We'd like to attempt growing potato's again. However, the potato beatles they attract are insane. You definately want to plant those away from other crops. Plus, our field mice love them. Ugh.

    3. I have spearmint started indoors... not having much luck with it. But, my lime basil is out of this world! In my notes from last summer, I noted to plant LOTS OF DILL and PARSLEY because we had tons of swallowtail larvae on them. Which are so much FUN to watch!!!

    4. I have wonderful luck with brocolli, cauliflower and cabbage. It freezes well and super easy to do!

    5. For the first time ever, I bought Swiss Chard last year. It is edible, but it is just breathtaking (the rainbow colors), to plant. Note to self: buy some just for the fun of it.

    I'll be adding your blog to my sidebar, soon.

    Happy Day, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Michele! I'll have to remember the Swiss Chard! ~Oney

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha think?