Monday, May 11, 2009

Electricity Costs Going Up.

Yeah...but isn't everything? I was thinking this morning how we in our family can head off some of the increase in our utility bills. The thought occured to me that possibly having one day a week where only the barest of electic power usage might be a way. Might be rather a fun challenge too. Then again, it might be more difficult than I am considering. I think I'll propose the idea to Rick and see what he thinks.

What would we lose? We would experience no lights on during the day, going to bed earlier, no hair dryer, no laundry (washing at least--I could wash the day before and hang the clothes to dry), no cooking (except on the BBQ grill), no television, radio/cd's (unless battery operated), no video games, no pumping gas, no grocery shopping (oh darn! LOL), no charging cell phones, no blogging, no message boards, no internet surfing, no dishwasher, no vacuuming (how sad! NOT!) and a bunch more no no no's. But it might just be a fun challenge.

What would we gain? Some frustration I'm sure but also some laughs, realization of just how much power we do rely on each day, more time outdoors gardening and at the park. We'd play more board games, read more, enjoy the scent of a nice candle, a picnic, read more, visit more and all around just spend more time t-o-g-e-t-h-e-r. Who knows, doing this once a week just might show a monetary savings at the end of the month when the electric bill comes in the mail.

How would we execute this idea? Well, I'd start by unplugging from the electric outlets everything that could be disconnected safely: That's about everything but the refrigerator. Then I would put some tape on each light switch in the off position to remind us not to flip the switch out of habit. I would put a list of all non-electrical activities we can do--and it just might include washing dishes by hand, sorting through all old periodicals, dusting the furniture, playing the piano, playing the xylophone (yes, we really do have one), taking a walk with Jorja, weeding the garden, making sandwiches and going on a picnic,...now if I can just talk them into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think?