Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Update on the Job

In short: I love it!

The last 4 years I have been perfectly content to hole up in my little cottage and homeschool my kids. (Don't worry about their "socialization"--we do get out of the house and talk to other people.)

I haven't wanted to wear make up. I was perfectly comfortable in my flannel lounge pants and thermal shirt. When you don't put your jeans on at least once a week you don't realize you're gaining weight. That's not a good thing. In the past 4 years I have gained about 20 pounds.

My blood pressure was still running high and the anti-depressants had to be doubled. Not good.

My family practitioner watched me continue to sink into a deeper depression over the 4 years he was my doctor. The last time I saw him before he moved he told me to get a job. Volunteer, find part time work for pay, just something to change the scenery. Something different to think about for a few hours a day.

So, me being the ever follower-of-the-rules, I took a job at a video rental store for 3 evenings a week. I decided to buy our groceries with that money I earned. However, being in a video store, alone, and doing the closing process at 11:30 pm kind of creeped me out. It didn't set too well with Rick either.

I had applied at our local cafe in November because I really wanted to wait tables. This would be even better because I could save money by walking instead of driving to town to work.

About 3 weeks ago the owner called me in for an interview and I was hired and began the next night.

It is everything I wanted it to be. The place is hoppin' --it's excellent food, a comfortable yet trendy atmosphere, my co-workers are neat women and the owners are just incredibly precious, kind and fair folks.

I run my legs off each shift I work but I love it. I love that fast pace for a few hours. I have seen people I haven't seen in a long time. The owners are so shocked and impressed that I know so many people and can call them by name when greeting and serving them. What can I say? It's a small town and I've lived here forever.

The money isn't too bad either. People around here tip very well if you give them the personal service they want when dining out. My job is to make sure our guests are comfortable, content, fed well, and treated with respect. I do my best to do that for every group or individual coming in to the establishment. If I include my hourly wage rate with my tips it figures out that I made $19.25 per hour tonight.

It's been a great part of the healing process. I no longer feel like I'm a failure. It feels wonderful to buy groceries and feed my precious family with money I earned while they were sharing some good father-sons time together. It feels great to feel alive and well and it feels amazing to be able to do something about the debt.

I love to feed people. It makes me happy to cook for people and to see them enjoy food and time together. God is so good. He has allowed me to heal through serving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think?